Parents and Caregivers Reminded to Check All Windowed
Areas During National Window Covering Safety Month
Middleton, WI - October 1, 2012
Springs Window Fashions, through its flagship Bali® brand of window blinds and shades, is promoting safety awareness during October for National Window Covering Safety Month.
This nationwide campaign, co-sponsored by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC), urges parents and caregivers to use only cordless window coverings in young children's play rooms, bedrooms and sleeping areas.
In addition, all window coverings manufactured prior to 2001 should be replaced with today's safer products or retrofitted. The WCSC offers free retrofit kits, which can be obtained by calling 1-800-506-4636 or visiting their website at www.windowcoverings.org.
When young children or pets are around the home, cord safety should be a key factor in selecting window treatments. Although all of the window fashions offered today meet the latest safety standards, window coverings without any accessible cords are still the safest choice for homes with children and pets. Almost every type of corded blind or shade is now available with a cordless option, combining safety and style.
In an effort to build consumer awareness of potential window cord hazards, Springs Window Fashions is offering free children's coloring and activity sheets for download here. Bali also promotes safety throughout the year in its Bali Solutions magazine.
Here are some additional window safety tips from the Window Covering Safety Council:
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to a non-windowed wall.
- Avoid long draperies where babies are present, especially when they start crawling.
- Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children.
- Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short.
- Cord stops should be properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of the inner lift cords.
- Continuous-loop lift cords should be permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill.
For additional information about window cord safety, contact the Window Covering Safety Council at 1-800-506-4636 or via their website, www.windowcoverings.org. Consumers can also find safety information and a link to the WCSC at baliblinds.com/safety.
About Springs Window Fashions
Bali® is a brand of Springs Window Fashions, the Best Experience Company. Springs Window Fashions,
based in Middleton, WI, supplies leading retailers
and distributors with a complete line of blinds, shades, specialty treatments and window hardware. For more information, visit www.springswindowfashions.com.
Springs Window Fashions Customer Service
8:30 a.m.–7:00 p.m. EST
Springs Window Fashions
8467 Route 405 Highway South
PO Box 500
Montgomery, PA 17752